Thursday, September 22, 2011

The sale barn

Yesterday my husband and I went to a local flee market. When I was growing up we called it the sale barn. I went hoping to find some old windows, lumber or something to help me with my chicken coop project. As it turns out i had no such luck, however I did buy a very nice cast iron skillet for $8.

I stoped to  look at some of the chickens they had for sale there. I was very disappointed at the condition on the bird they were selling. One farmer had about 15 full grown chickens crammed packed in a a little crate about 2' by 3'. These poor little chickens couldn't even stand up the crate was so darn small. Now everything I have read says to look at how the chickens are taken care of, and if it seems unsatisfactory then don't buy them. But I felt to bad for these poor cramped chickens. I wanted to buy everyone of them just to get them out of that tiny little box. Don't worry I didn't buy them, I don't even have a coop yet. This is the same reason I am no longer allowed to go to the pound. I feel so bad for them I just want to bring them all home with me. I know, I have a problem. I need help.

On a brighter note, I did get a small stack of lumber from a guy on FreeCycle. It's not much but it is a start. If only I could find a bit more. I just don't know how to go about asking people to give me things. I am sure someone out there has old lumber or even chicken supplies that they don't need, but I don't know to get in contact with them, or how to ask for it without seeming like a mooch. There is an older man that goes to church with me who is always saying how no one asks him for help any more, and that all he does is sit around all day. So I am considering asking him if he can help me track down some old building materials and maybe give me instructions on how to go about building it. I dont' know, maybe he can help, but it might be worth a try.

I had to take my mother in for a procedure the other day (no worries, she's fine) and while I waited for her i drew up some plans for a coop. It's 6' by 8'. Has a slanted roof, and windows in the shorter side. A door on one side wall, and the nesting boxes acrossed from it, with the pop hole under them. The roosts are on the wall acrossed from the windows. I don't know how it will work but I'm hoping it will work for 8 chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment